Purpose of Program
The purpose of Recreation Sites and Trails BC is to:
• develop, maintain and market a network of 1,319 recreation sites and 818 recreation trails to provide safe, quality recreation opportunities for the public;
• manage, in collaboration with other Ministry of Natural Resource Operations (MNRO) business lines, public recreation use on Crown land outside recreation sites and trails; and
• develop, maintain and market, in collaboration with other provincial agencies and local government, British Columbia’s 800 plus kilometres of rail trails, branded “The Spirit of 2010 Trail”.
Recreation Sites and Trails are located on Crown lands outside Parks and settled areas and are managed within an integrated management framework along with harvesting, range, commercial recreation and other activities and uses.
Recreation Sites are rustic:
• with only basic facilities such as toilets, fire rings and picnic tables
• no electricity or potable water is provided
• accessed by gravel forestry roads
• majority are not supervised