All of us are pinched for cash these days, especially now that gas prices are climbing higher… No need to worry though, because you can still find all the gear for your hiking and backpacking adventures if you invest a little time. Here are some tips from the Hiking Lady:
- Check out Craigslist.com and search for camping, hiking, and backpacking gear. You never know when someone in your area is getting rid of some trekking poles, a high end backpack they decided to never use (because they got blisters while backpacking and didn’t read HikingLady.com’s tips!), or a women’s sleeping bag. A little bit of consistent searching can really pay off.
- REI periodically has Used Gear sales at their stores. To find out, go to the REI.com website, click on “Store Locator” and find your local store, then click on “Hours, events, directions, and more”. Get there early, because there will undoubtedly be a long line. It’s worth the wait because the deals are so good! Because of REI’s generous return policy, you’ll be able to find slightly used boots, adventure apparel, trekking poles, and even backpacks and sleeping bags! Make sure you’ve done you’re research beforehand when buying something that should be fitted to you, like backpacks. Occasionally the gear will be very used (yes their return policy seems to be overly generous sometimes!), but have a look around!
- REI-Outlet.com is another place to look for heavily discounted hiking gear for women, like women’s hiking boots, trekking poles, camping and backpacking gear. They have overstocks and closeouts. Be sure to check out their Deals of the Day. They had a Sierra Designs 3-person light weight tent on sale for $99 recently.
- Amazon.com is a great source for discounted gear. If you know what you’re looking to buy, just type in the name of the item and see if the price is better at Amazon.com. Amazon.com also just announced a new page for outdoor gear and apparel at Amazon Outdoors!
- Steep and Cheap Backcountry.com sponsors this page that offers one super great deal at a time, with everything at least 50% off! There tends to be a lot of women’s outdoors apparel on here, so it’s definitely worth taking a look to find a good deal!
Happy shopping! See you on the trails!